Thursday, October 29, 2015

Home tomorrow

It's Thursday evening, and we're in St. Louis, within striking distance of home. Evie is out visiting with a friend from Japanese camp, so we have a few minutes before we have to go pick her up again.

With the Aikido portion of the trip behind us and lots of time on our hands, we've started to reflect on what we have experienced. Our Aikido of Madison dojo mates will surely hear some of this, but one of the biggest things that we've been talking about is what it means to welcome visitors to your dojo. We had a range of experiences, and it's given us ideas about how we could be good hosts.

We also experienced a broad spectrum of ukemi, and it has helped us (probably more me than Evie, who doesn't have a lot of problems in the ukemi department) to clarify the kind of partner I want to be.

Technique-wise, we both have things that we thought were fun or interesting or worth sharing. While a library of techniques and variations is useful and nice to have (or it seems to be in Evie's case--I don't really have one yet), there are some bigger ideas that I think I will be focusing on, one of which is a greater emphasis on irimi, or entering. Nevelius Sensei had some demonstrations that really shows the value of it and I'll be doing some practice drills to beat it into my body.

I also feel that Nevelius's concept of the meeting place, and its corollary the axis of the meeting, really resonated with me. It's quite different from the Mary Heiny Sensei/Linda Holiday Sensei concept of "I am the center of the universe". It just makes more sense to me. The techniques end up looking quite different. Time will tell how well I can integrate the idea into my training.

I was also glad to see that Evie has no trouble finding a welcome for herself in a wide range of dojos. She was counseled once that if you have good etiquette and good ukemi you will be welcome anywhere, and she works hard on both. So as she moves into a phase of her life when she may be traveling around the country and the world, it's great to have confidence that she can make a place for herself.

I'm sure Jen and Evie will have more thoughts as we wrap up the journey, but for now, I'm looking forward to sleeping in our own bed!

No comments:

Post a Comment